As we enter perhaps the most challenging year of education, I want to thank you for the patience, flexibility and understanding our PV Family and Community have expressed over the past few weeks and months as we work to create the best learning environment for our students. The one thing that I have learned from this challenge is that once we have a plan in place, it will inevitably change, so the information that you receive is the most up to date we have at this time, but know we will continue to update you with any new information as the plans are established.
As I explained to our students who attended summer school a few weeks ago, we have the ability to influence events in our life, but we cannot control them. We can create outcomes through our work and effort, but we cannot always control the final outcome. Ultimately, the only thing we have 100% control of is how you as an individual respond to the events in our lives. Focusing on controlling your thoughts, words and actions will allow you to achieve the outcomes we are all striving for each and everyday. I know we as a PV Community will rise to this challenge and do whatever is necessary to ensure that this year will be as safe as possible.
I am looking forward to welcoming all of our new students and families to Pleasant Valley Junior High as well as our new 7th and 8th grade classes.
Principal | Pleasant Valley Junior High
August 21: Device Distribution for 100% Online Students 2:00-4:00pm in the JH Cafeteria
August 24: First Day of School
September 7: No School, Labor Day
FAMILY HANDBOOK AND FAQ:
There are so many questions as we return to school this year. Don’t forget to read through the Family Handbook and FAQ. We’ll continue to update it as we make decisions and alert you through enews!
PARKING & PICK UP/DROP OFF CHANGES:
We are excited about the new renovations to the parking lot at Pleasant Valley Junior High. As indicated in this map, we have drastically changed the traffic flow at PVJH to accommodate our growing student population. Key points to be aware of.
1) The entrance to PVJH is now directly off of 35th Avenue and Wisconsin Ave entering on the East side of the parking lot. Starting on August 24th, car drop-off and pick up will be located on the North end of the building at doors N 1 and N 2 located by the Football field. This set-up is very similar to the front entrance at Pleasant Valley High School where you will be able to drop off and pick up using two lanes that are separated by a thru lane in the center. A video description will be included in next week's eNews.
2) All bus drop-off and pick-ups will be located in the front of Pleasant Valley Junior High. No car drop-offs or pickups will occur in the front of the building before or after school.
3) Families will be able to park in the front of the school during Back to School hours on August 17th-20th. We ask that you enter through the Main Entrance (S2) and exit through the Nurse's Office exit (S3)
4) All vehicles will exit using the West exit. Additional signage is scheduled to be installed over the next week.
Schedules will be released August 17 through the Parent Portal.
To mitigate the spread of COVID-19, students who ride the bus must wear a face covering. Face coverings include masks, gaiters, and shields. There are only 27 seats on a bus and to practice social distancing only one child will be assigned to a seat, unless they are siblings. Click here for a reminder of the expectations we have for our exceptional bus riders.
MENINGOCOCCAL MENINGITIS VACCINE INFORMATION:
Students entering the 7th grade are required to have 1 dose of the Meningococcal vaccine if born on or after September 15, 2004. There will be no grace period allowed, if your child does not meet the state requirements they will not be allowed to start school on August 24. If your student has a medical exemption; a new medical exemption to include the Meningococcal vaccine is required. YOU MUST PROVIDE THIS INFORMATION TO YOUR CHILD’S SCHOOL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
PVJH Athletics: We have been working in conjunction with the other MAC Superintendents, HS Athletic Directors, Junior High/Middle School AD’s and the IGHSAU/IHSAA to determine what Season 1 (fall) sports will look like for our community. Here is an update:
- Practices will NOT start on 8/24 like normal
- We are looking to begin practices on Tuesday, September 8th
- Competitions will most likely start on the week of 9/21--still finalizing schedules
- Davenport CSD has canceled Season 1, so we are working with North Scott, Bettendorf, Muscatine, Central DeWitt, and Clinton to develop schedules that work with each school and their Return to Learn model
- Seasons would be tentatively 6 weeks long, ending the week of 10/12
- At this time, seasons 2, 3, and 4 would run as normal
- REMINDER: Up to date physicals are required for participation in athletics. The following documents must be on file for your student to participate:
Valid Physical - this document includes the parent waiver and 2020-21 signed concussion fact sheet
For Sports Physicals: Governor Reynolds has made a proclamation that allows for a child's physical that were completed on or after July 1st 2019 to be good through December 2020.
Please complete this survey regarding your child's interest in participating in Season 1 sports and also your ability to assist in transportation. Thank you for your patience in this process and more information will become available as schedules are developed and plans are put into place.
Click here for the JH School Supply List.
Want to know what’s for lunch today? Click here for breakfast and lunch menus. You can also download an app to keep track of it all on your phone. Plus, the site lets you look at the nutritional values of every item on our healthy menus, which makes it easy to feel good about what PVCSD is serving your kids!
School Meal Prices:
Junior High & High School Breakfast $1.80
Junior High Lunch $2.55
You may make a deposit into your student's lunch account at any time by sending cash or check to their building. You can also add money via credit card to your student’s food service account online through RevTrak by clicking here. Communications for low food service balances will be sent to the parent/guardian email address(es) that the school has on file. Click here for a reminder about our meal charge policy, including how much students can charge and when you'll be alerted for having a negative balance.
Free and Reduced Application: Please see the below instructions on beginning your student’s 2020-2021 Free and Reduced Application.
- To begin your Online free and reduced application, please log into your Parent Portal Account here. If you do not have an account please call our Administration Center at 563-332-5550. Please note that Free and Reduced application must be accessed from the Portal website link above; it is not available through the Portal Mobile App.
- Once logged in, click the link for “Applications/Forms” on the left
- Select “Click to start meal benefit application”
- After your application has been processed you will receive notification in your parent portal inbox.
- If you are unable to complete the online application please click here.
If you have questions about our Food Service Program, please contact Food Service Director, Andrea Mahler, at 563-332-5550 or email@example.com.
NEW FACULTY AND STAFF:
Join us in welcoming new faculty and staff to the PVJH Family:
Taylor Barros - Special Education
Debbie Borolazzo - Study Hall Aide
Alexis Coronell - Building Secretary
Chris Erickson - Special Education Aide
Madison Glatz - Language Arts
Tia Hicks - Dean of Students - 7th Grade
Matthew Kuhn - Social Studies
Kelby LaBarge - Language Arts
Zachary Meseke - Language Arts
Isabel Noble - Family and Consumer Science
Ann Peters - Art
Jacob Ridenour - ELP
Scott Schoville - Art
Beth Thompson - Special Education
Bryan Underwood - Special Education Aide
Colin Wikan - Dean of Students - 8th Grade
Don’t Miss a Thing!
In an emergency, PV will send you notices via text and phone calls. Information you give us during registration automatically signs you up for emails, texts and phone calls. If you’d like to add or change that information, please click here to manage your preferences. Sign in and click on the Contacts Tab. Your name will pop up, then click edit and make sure your information is correct! (can’t remember your sign in? Click “forgot password” on the home page. If you have any questions, contact our Communications Director at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Follow PVJH on Twitter: @PVJH_Spartans
Pleasant Valley schools send out an email every week with important dates, events, and community opportunities. It’s called the #SpartanNation and it’s unique to every school. Make sure you check your in-boxes every Friday afternoon, so you don’t miss a thing!
To assure that your email provider will not block email communications, please add this email address to your safe senders list: email@example.com. Pleasant Valley will not give email lists to anyone outside of the district. If you do not have access to email, information is available in the school office.
Follow us on facebook for stories about what’s going on in and out of the classroom!