Cathy Wales Memorial Scholarship
Cathy Wales had a great love for the Pleasant Valley Community School District, having attended PV schools from kindergarten until her death at the end of her sophomore year. Cathy was diagnosed with leukemia in 1984 and spent most of her freshman and sophomore year of high school hospitalized either at the University of Iowa Children’s Hospital or at home. Her desire to see a swimming pool built at Pleasant Valley High School was a dream that motivated her to work in conjunction with her dad to get voters to pass two bond referendums. These referendums allowed for $9.8 million in renovations and additions to Pleasant Valley High School, including adding the swimming pool. While Cathy’s dad was out publicizing the high school’s need for the bonds, Cathy spent hours color-coding floor plan layouts to make them easier to explain to voters. The support of her friends and the staff at Pleasant Valley during her illness was especially gratifying to Cathy’s parents, Joan and Dick Wales. Cathy had been on the honor roll at the junior high and the high school and was an active member in her church, Our Lady of the River in LeClaire. Cathy died from complications of the leukemia on Saturday, May 17, 1986.
Criteria to Apply:
- Be a graduating student from Pleasant Valley High School
- A GPA of 2.75 or above
- A career goal of being in the health care field. This would include careers as a physician, nurse, medical technician, physical therapist, nutrition, music therapy, child life therapy, respiratory therapist, occupational therapist, speech pathologist, etc.
- May attend a 2 year or 4 year degree program
Scholarship Personal Statement/Essay:
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), how has your involvement in a church or community activity been influential in your life?Click here to Apply for a Scholarship
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us why you've chosen your field of study.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us what your plans are after your post-secondary education is complete.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us about one of the following: your ability to problem solve, work with others, and/or your dedication to the community.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us how you've overcome an obstacle.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us anything else about yourself you think the selection committee would like to know.
Past Scholarship Recipients
2022 Jillian Keppy
2021 Allison Suen
2020 Ellie Scranton
2019 Mahum Haque
2018 Reagan Putnam