Deborah R. Menke Leadership Scholarship
Deb Menke began her professional career in 1972 as a teacher at North Scott High School. She taught from 1972 through 1989 and coached volleyball and basketball. She took both teams to the state tournament multiple times, winning the state championship in volleyball in 1985 and was named Coach of the Year. In 1989, she was asked by the North Scott administration to take on the responsibilities of Activities Director. She was in this position until 1997. In 1997, she left North Scott and took the Associate Principal position at Pleasant Valley High School. She held that position from 1997 until 2000, at which time she became the Principal of PVHS.
During her career, Deb has earned recognition and awards in the following areas at each level:
- 1993 earned the Iowa High School Athletic Director of the Year.
- 2001 named Southeast Iowa Associate Principal of the Year.
- 2005 received the Southeast Iowa Principal of the Year Award.
- 2009 received the Bernie Saggau Award from the Iowa High School Athletic Association – the first time this prestigious award has been given to a woman since its inception.
At whatever position or level, Deb Menke has given her all. Her work ethic and dedication goes beyond the call of duty. This scholarship is meant to represent those characteristic traits that Deb lives day in and day out: hard work, dedication, giving your best effort everyday no matter what the situation might be.
Criteria to Apply:
- Be a graduating senior of PVHS
- The recipient of this scholarship will best represent the standards and ideals of Pleasant Valley Community Schools and Pleasant Valley High School.
- Demonstrates the ability of being a self-directed learner
- Communicates effectively
- Demonstrates the ability to reason, solve problems and apply knowledge using a variety of thinking skills
- Produces work of high quality
- Demonstrates the ability to be a responsible citizen
- Demonstrates the ability to work as a team member with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrates a strong work ethic supporting all standards noted above.
- Applicants will have been enrolled in Pleasant Valley Community Schools no later than 7th grade with continual enrollment through their senior year.
- Applicants will have a minimum of a 3.0 un-weighted GPA
- Applicants will have demonstrated the above qualities in the classroom and in extra-curricular activities
Scholarship Personal Statement/Essay:
- Demonstrate how your work has helped you overcome an obstacle or achieved a goal for your team, group or organization.
Past Scholarship Recipients
2020 Stone Patten
2019 Haley Moore
2018 Rebecca Abdullah
2017 Jarrin Flores
2016 Emma Wichman
2015 Matthew Doyle
2014 Erica Miller
2013 Meredith Bruster
2012 Meghan Olt
2011 Amanda Phan
2010 Daniel Witcik