Marilyn Roudabush Gearhart Education Scholarship
The Marilyn Roudabush Gearhart Education Scholarship is awarded annually to a Pleasant Valley graduate pursuing a degree in education in a four year public university in Iowa or Truman State University.
Marilyn received a Bachelor of Science in Education Degree at Truman State University in 1968 and a Masters of Education from Texas A & M (Commerce) in 1979. She taught all grades from 3 year olds to junior high students during her 32 years of teaching in Texas. While teaching science to 7-8 graders, Marilyn also enjoyed coaching girls basketball.
Marilyn and her husband Burt have a daughter, Senator Chris Cournoyer and four grandchildren: Bennett, Sydney, Tanner and Chase...all receiving their education from PV schools.
It is Marilyn’s hope that her scholar recipients will be inspired to become dedicated educators of young people, always encouraging “the how to learn” and at the same time nurturing creativity throughout their lives.
Criteria to apply:
- Student will attend an accredited 4-year college or university in the State of Iowa or Truman State University with plans to puruse a degree in Education.
- Student will have an overall GPA of at lest 3.2 on a 4.0 scale
- Student will submit one letter of recommendation
Applications will be evaluated on the following:
- Estanblished future goals and plans to achieve them
- Self-motivation in completing challenging activities
Describe an experience in 200 words or less where you have seized an opportunity and how did you grow as a result?