Mark Murphy Inclusive Community Scholarship
Mark Murphy graduated from Pleasant Valley in 1983. He was involved in National Honor Society, Spartan Assembly, Marching Band, Wind Ensemble, Spartan Shield Sports Editor, and was Cross Country MVP his Junior year and Track and Field MVP his senior year. Additionally, he participated in basketball and football. Mark earned his Eagle Scout award from Troop 24 of Riverdale. He went on to Creighton University.
This scholarship honors a student who takes difference to heart and has taken the time and invested the energy to empower others to be exactly who they are. This student has demonstrated in their actions a focus on developing universal respect for all races, nationalities, religions, gender identities, sexual orientation, mental or physical handicap, appearance and financial status.
The winner of this scholarship has been BOLD in using their voice to make opportunity available for everyone, regardless their situation or circumstance. The awardees is chosen by the administration/counselors. Each awardee will demonstrate the following:
· Needs to be well prepared by their K-12 experiences and to pursue some form of post-secondary education to expand and refine their skills and background
· Other focused - a commitment to making sure everyone has every opportunity
· Interpersonal Skills - the ability to listen, empathize, and work effectively with others - individually or in groups
· Academic Preparation - the ability to reason, solve problems, apply knowledge, and communicate effectively
· Professional Behaviors - responsibility and dependability
Criteria to Apply
· Administration/counselors will select the senior applicant who exhibits the qualities of inclusion, empathy, and respect
· Is LGBTQ+ or an Ally to the work of inclusion
· Plan to attend a college or vocational school upon graduation
Scholarship Personal Statement/Essay:
Discuss briefly in 50 words or less a time where you used your voice to make sure opportunity was available for everyone.
Past Scholarship Recipients