Math Department Achievement Scholarship
The Math Department at Pleasant Valley High School offers 17 rigorous courses, including AP Calculus. On Iowa Assessment tests 94% of our students are proficient or advanced in mathematics. This scholarship is one of 12 scholarships awarded and financed solely by the Pleasant Valley Educational Foundation, which raises funds through several events throughout the year. This scholarship honors a student who has excelled in this field of study. The awardee is chosen by the faculty of Math Department. Each awardee will demonstrate the following:
1. Needs to be well prepared by their K-12 experiences and to pursue some form of postsecondary education to expand and refine their skills and background
2. Academic Preparation – the ability to reason, solve problems, apply knowledge, and communicate effectively
3. Interpersonal Skills – the ability to work effectively with others
4. Professional Behaviors – responsibility and dependability
5. Community Mindedness – a commitment to being involved
Criteria to Apply:
- Math faculty will select the senior applicant who best exemplifies the characteristics of the New Leaders’ Scholarship Program.
- Plan to attend a college or vocational school upon graduation.
Scholarship Personal Statement/Essay:
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us why you've chosen your field of study.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us what your plans are after your post-secondary education is complete.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us about one of the following: your ability to problem solve, work with others, and/or your dedication to the community.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us how you've overcome an obstacle.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us anything else about yourself you think the selection committee would like to know.
Past Scholarship Recipients
2022 Beatrice Sears
2021 Jonathan Sulgrove
2020 Grace Almgren
2019 Susan Anil
2018 Max Royer
2017 Samuel Lederman
2016 Michael Li
2015 Ajay Penmatcha
2014 Mengyu Wang
2013 Dallas Carter
2012 Joe Mueller
2011 Ryan Kelly