Beverly Kaighin Memorial Scholarship
Beverly R. Kaighin was born on a farm near Rome, Iowa. The daughter of a self-sufficient farmer and the former teacher of a one-room school house like the one she attended, Beverly understood the importance of hard work and a good education. To enter high school, she passed an entrance exam and rented a room with a family in nearby Mt. Pleasant. She attended classes during the week and returned to the farm to help most weekends. Following high school, she earned her elementary teaching degree from Iowa Wesleyan College in Mt. Pleasant.
Beverly taught in Ottumwa and Yarmouth, Iowa before marrying her husband of 62 years, Irvin (Ike) Kaighin. She taught in Davenport and Bettendorf for a few years before staying home to raise their two daughters, Becky and Penny, who graduated from Pleasant Valley High School.
She substitute taught in Bettendorf and Pleasant Valley for several years before teaching full-time in the remedial reading room at Hoover Elementary in Bettendorf, where she ended her teaching career. She always saw potential in students that others may have overlooked, guiding them to understand that they were capable students. Beverly was often thanked by former students for her efforts with them.
Criteria to Apply:
- Be a graduating senior from PVHS
- Good work ethic in the classroom and beyond
- Be a well-rounded person of good character
- Attend a technical college, 2-year college, college or university
Scholarship Personal Statement/Essay:
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us why you've chosen your field of study.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us what your plans are after your post-secondary education is complete.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us about one of the following: your ability to problem solve, work with others, and/or your dedication to the community.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us how you've overcome an obstacle.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us anything else about yourself you think the selection committee would like to know.
Click here to Apply for a Scholarship
Past Scholarship Recipients
2022 Meredith Onions
2021 Addison Hegland