Brett Greenwood “Total Effort” Scholarship
This scholarship is given in honor of Brett Greenwood and is annually awarded to a senior who best exemplifies the work ethic, spirit, and total effort Brett exemplified on the field and in the classroom.
Brett graduated from PVHS in 2006 as a three sport athlete participating in football, basketball, and track throughout his entire high school career. During high school, Brett compiled numerous awards including 2005 and 2006 First Team All-State Defensive back, 2005 MAC player of the year, 2006 Male Athlete of the Year, 2006 Quad-City Times “Athlete of the Year” Finalist, Academic All-Conference in three sports, and other local awards.
After high school, Brett enrolled at The University of Iowa as a recruited walk-on with the Iowa Hawkeye football program. By his sophomore year, Brett had earned an athletic scholarship and significant playing time. In the 2007 season, Brett earned the starting Free Safety role for the Hawkeyes defense, a position he held throughout the remainder of his Iowa career. Brett earned multiple honors throughout his four years as a Hawkeye including second team all-Big Ten and was chosen as one of the permanent defensive team captains as a senior.
Upon graduation from the Henry B. Tippie College of Business, Brett was signed as a free agent by the Pittsburgh Steelers. In September 2011, Brett collapsed during a workout due to an abnormal heart beat, causing severe neurological damage. Brett’s approach to his rehabilitation is the same as with everything he does — total effort and total commitment.
Criteria to Apply:
- Be a graduating senior of PVHS who plans to attend a two or four-year college
- Applicant must have a GPA and college entrance exam score predictive of college success
- Recipient will be a senior who best exemplifies the work ethic, spirit, and total effort that define Brett’s success
Scholarship Personal Statement/Essay:
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us why you've chosen your field of study.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us what your plans are after your post-secondary education is complete.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us about one of the following: your ability to problem solve, work with others, and/or your dedication to the community.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us how you've overcome an obstacle.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us anything else about yourself you think the selection committee would like to know.
- While Brett was a three-sport athlete, his total effort went way beyond the field of play. Describe your personal total effort and how it has impacted your life.
Past Scholarship Recipients
2022 Aidan Kilstrom
2021 A.J. Tappa
2020 Max Murphy
2019 Mallory Lafever
2018 Rory Donahue
2017 Addie Swanson
2016 Carly Donahue
2015 David Zimmer
2014 Noah Bryant
2013 Chole Miller
2012 Brett Dixon