Carl D. Schillig Memorial Scholarship
Carl Schillig, a student at Pleasant Valley High School, was 15 years old when he was hit and killed by a car while participating in the Civil War Reenactment at the Village of East Davenport, September 17, 1994.
Carl was active in numerous school, community, and church activities. The memorial was established by Carl’s family to perpetuate his memory and enthusiasm for life by providing college scholarships to graduates of Pleasant Valley. The first scholarship was awarded in 1998.
Established in 1995, the annual Labor Day Run with Carl is the primary funding vehicle for the Carl D. Schillig Memorial Fund. Supported by many area businesses, volunteers, and media, the run has grown to be an annual community event.
The primary objective of this scholarship is to memorialize the life of Carl D. Schillig by annually providing a scholarship to a Pleasant Valley High School senior who has plans to continue his/her education beyond high school.
Criteria to Apply:
- Be a graduating senior at PVHS
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.3 after seven semesters of high school
- Submit a transcript of credits reflecting seven semesters of work
- Exemplify Carl Schillig’s spirit and interests
- Plan to attend a two-year or four-year college upon graduation
- The scholarship is a tuition scholarship and will be paid directly to the institution
- A personal interview will be required of finalists
*The scholarship will be granted over a four-year period in the amount of $1,000 per year.
Scholarship Personal Statement/Essay:
- Describe your educational plans and career goals, and how this scholarship will help attain these goals.
Past Scholarship Recipients:
2017 Kaitlyn Evans
2016 Harrison Guenzler
2015 Claire Schwarz
2014 Kierstyn Feld
2013 Paul Conway
2012 Allison Witters
2011 Jenna McGee
2010 Emily Misak Jorgensen
2009 Matthew Rubins
2008 Charles Paul
2007 Jordan Lang
2006 Kelsey Bulat
2005 Isaiah Klavviter
2004 Erik Rheinhart
2003 Craig Frericks
2002 Ashly Overturf
2001 Robert Kline
2000 Philip Grothus
1999 Gregory Bauer
1998 Jeff Paul