Chuck Murphy Spartan Spirit Scholarship
Charles “Chuck” Murphy was a long-time parent, fan, and volunteer of the athletic program at Pleasant Valley High School. His five children, Chris ’71, Russ ’73, Ken ’74, Dale ’77, and Mark ’83, are all graduates of PVHS.
Chuck followed his own children as they participated in tennis, golf, football, basketball, baseball, track, and cross country for over 17 years. He rarely, if ever, missed a game or event that his children were participating in. Following their graduation from high school, Chuck continued to volunteer as PV’s camera man, filming football and basketball games. He also served as a timer at track meets.
This scholarship honors a student who has most exhibited the qualities of hard work, dedication, and sportsmanship. The awardee is chosen by the administration/counselors. Each awardee will demonstrate the following:
- Needs to be well prepared by their K-12 experiences and to pursue some form of post-secondary education to expand and refine their skills and background
- Academic Preparation – the ability to reason, solve problems, apply knowledge, and communicate effectively
- Interpersonal Skills – the ability to work effectively with others – individually or in groups
- Professional Behaviors – responsibility and dependability
- Community Mindedness – a commitment to being involved
Criteria to Apply:
- Administration/counselors will select the senior applicant who exhibits the qualities of hard work, dedication, and sportsmanship
- Plan to attend a college or vocational school upon graduation
Scholarship Personal Statement/Essay:
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us why you've chosen your field of study.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us what your plans are after your post-secondary education is complete.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us about one of the following: your ability to problem solve, work with others, and/or your dedication to the community.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us how you've overcome an obstacle.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us anything else about yourself you think the selection committee would like to know.
Past Scholarship Recipients
2021 Kaitlyn Crist
2020 Nate Martell
2019 Allison Zucker
2018 Gretchen Strobbe
2017 Rachel Tebbe
2016 Brennen Reynolds
2015 Louis William
2014 Nicholas Reed
2013 Samuel Martin
2012 Katelynn Bradley
2011 Sarah Cronk
2010 Jacob Ward
2009 Carolyn Johnson
2008 Alex Phan
2007 Jordan Lang
2006 Jacob Jipp
2005 Alex Hahn
2004 Hannah Bland
2003 Kristin Beck