Dan Claussen Memorial Scholarship
Dan Claussen was a lifelong farmer, a former Fire Chief of the Pleasant Valley Fire Department, and served as the Assistant Fire Chief with the City of Bettendorf. His memberships included the Scott County Dairy Board and Scott County Cattleman’s Association. He was a life time supporter of 4H, previously a member and leader. He and his wife Peg, of 50 years, farmed in Pleasant Valley and raised three PV graduates. They have seven grandchildren and three great grandchildren. Peg worked 28 years for PVCSD. The Claussen Family was consistently involved and dedicated to serving the PV district mission in whatever way necessary.
Dan was hard working, appreciated a good work ethic, and above all, cherished his family. Dan was a kind-hearted neighbor, always willing to help. No matter the need, he was always there for others, whether it was for use on the farm, or a need from a neighbor or the community.
Criteria to Apply:
- Strong work ethic
- Student must display the following characteristics on a daily basis: hardworking, positive, determined
- Student must be planning to purse post-secondary education (trade school, community college, or university)
Scholarship Personal Statement/Essay:
- Throughout his life, Dan Claussen believed in hard work, accountability, and a positive mindset. Please describe how these characteristics have helped you be successful in your life thus far.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us why you've chosen your field of study.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us what your plans are after your post-secondary education is complete.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us about one of the following: your ability to problem solve, work with others, and/or your dedication to the community.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us how you've overcome an obstacle.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us anything else about yourself you think the selection committee would like to know.
Past Scholarship Recipients
2022 John Carber
2021 Macey McKinnon
2020 Molly Bimm
2019 Brennan Sarver