Jana S. Witte Memorial Band Scholarship
The Jana S. Witte Memorial Scholarships are annually awarded to three Pleasant Valley Seniors: one each from the vocal music, band, and orchestra programs. These scholarships are directed toward students who seek the opportunity to continue their music education at the collegiate level and are named in memory of a woman who spent a lifetime sharing her gift of music with students, colleagues, family, and friends.
Jana S. Witte attained her Master of Music Education while teaching junior high/middle school vocal music for fifteen years. She directed church adult choirs and bell choirs, community theater choruses, and accompanied countless solo and ensemble groups performing for state contests while also providing private instruction in voice, piano, and strings in her home. Jana invested in her continuing education by pursuing coursework in Suzuki piano and voice certification to expand her knowledge and to discover innovative teaching techniques to share with her students.
Although Jana spent only one year on staff at Pleasant Valley High School, she left the indelible mark of her high spirits and caring on the hearts of all the students and staff she encountered. Jana’s last day among us was an appropriate final chapter of a life dedicated to her profession. On a beautiful July day, she accompanied three Pleasant Valley students in voice and strings while performing for a wedding ceremony. That was Jana: always teaching, always mentoring, and always a musician.
It is the families hope the recipients of these scholarships use their musical gifts to enrich their lives and the lives of all they encounter throughout life’s journey. Whether done through careers in music education, performance, or the simple act of expanding their abilities to share with family and friends, such sharing will, indeed, keep Jana’s musical spirit alive.
The scholarship recipient will be determined by a committee composed of the PVHS Principal or Associate Principal, the Guidance Department, and Band Department. The scholarship is for tuition only and will be paid directly to the institution the recipient attends. The scholarship will be granted for one year and is non-renewable. The selection committee retains the right to
not award the scholarship if there are no eligible recipients in a given year. The scholarship will be presented to the recipient at the Senior Awards Program held prior to commencement.
Criteria to Apply:
- Be a graduating senior of PVHS
- Studied Band all four years
- Plan to continue studying and/or performing music in college with the intention of using music to enrich the lives of others throughout their adult life
- Pursue a post-secondary education which will lead to a Bachelor’s Degree
- A GPA satisfactory for college admission
Scholarship Personal Statement/Essay:
- Describe how you plan to use your musical talents to enrich the lives of others: Why do you feel you deserve this scholarship?
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us why you've chosen your field of study.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us what your plans are after your post-secondary education is complete.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us about one of the following: your ability to problem solve, work with others, and/or your dedication to the community.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us how you've overcome an obstacle.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us anything else about yourself you think the selection committee would like to know.
Past Scholarship Recipients:
2021 Lindsay Davison
2020 Jackson Schou
2019 Ethan Good
2018 Aman Manazir
2017 Ian Aplington
2016 Cooper Schou
2015 Reid Barlow
2014 Mallory Hanson
2013 Michelle Meadows
2012 Michael Hanson
2011 Douglas Wiegel
2010 Toni Hoffmann
2009 Amy Skjerseth