Janice Couch Memorial Scholarship
Janice Couch was a dedicated employee of the Pleasant Valley Community School District, working as School Secretary for Pleasant View Elementary School.
Janice was a loving wife, mother, and grandmother. She led a life dedicated to her family, friends, and community. Janice always placed the needs of others before her own, trying to make things better was her nature. This certainly applied to the teachers, staff, and students at PV.
Janice grew up in a family of three children and parents that worked hard and set good examples. It was during those years that she developed a love of children and especially children of families that could always use a “hand up.” Janice worked in various businesses before starting her own business, Sale Away, for children’s quality new and resale clothing. After a number of years, when shopping habits and fashions changed, Janice closed her shop and then after a few more years working in other businesses, she found her perfect job at Pleasant View Elementary School. It was there that she was always made to feel appreciated and needed.
During her years at PV and following retirement, a trip to a local grocery store, pharmacy or other local business often resulted in a cheerful greeting – “Mrs. Couch!” and a hug from a student or former student of Pleasant View. She loved those students.
In January of 2020, Janice died of cancer. It was Janice’s wish that she could help a PV student with plans to continue his or her education, someone with an interest in business, and someone who could use a “hand up.”
Criteria to Apply:
- Attended Pleasant View Elementary School
- Plans to pursue a career in business
- has a financial need
- Has displayed a serious approach to education by a combination of good grades and involvement in extra-curricular activites or a job.
Scholarship Personal Statement/Essay:
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us why you've chosen your field of study.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us what your plans are after your post-secondary education is complete.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us about one of the following: your ability to problem solve, work with others, and/or your dedication to the community.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us how you've overcome an obstacle.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us anything else about yourself you think the selection committee would like to know.
Click here to Apply for a Scholarship
Past Scholarship Recipients
2022 JT Muszalski
2021 Eli Erickson