Jeffrey and Jane Paul Family Scholarship
The Jeffrey and Jane Paul Family Scholarship is in memory of Jeff, who passed away on January 31, 2018. Creating the scholarship in 2020 coincides with the 50th anniversary of his graduation from Pleasant Valley High School. Jeff was a lifelong resident of rural Le Claire, attending Cody School in the era when it was K-8th grade. He then attended Pleasant Valley High School, and in the “Senior Superlatives” section of a 1970 Spartan Shield , Jeff was listed as “Most Likely to Succeed.” Succeed he did, and he greatly valued education, perseverance and hard work. Following PVHS, Jeff attended Iowa State University, majoring in Agricultural Business. During his junior year, his father passed away and Jeff made the immediate career decision to return to the family farm operation after graduation. Jeff and Jane met at Iowa State, were married in 1974, and together bought and incorporated the family farm. They operated Paul Farms, Inc., growing corn and soybeans and raising hogs. During the 1980s, the American farmer confronted a severe economic crisis and Jeff embarked on an additional career. He commuted daily, for three years, to the University of Iowa College of Law, while continuing to supervise the farm operation. In 1989, at the age of 38, he joined the law firm Lane & Waterman, practicing in the areas of business and estate planning until his retirement. Throughout his life, Jeff was always there for his family, encouraging them to enjoy every day.
The three Paul children, Annie, A.J., and Charlie, all attended Cody Elementary School, Pleasant Valley Junior High School (formerly Blackhawk Junior High School), Pleasant Valley High School, and Iowa State University. Between them, they participated and excelled in band, drama, journalism, choir, cross country, and track. Jane worked for thirteen years in the Pleasant Valley Junior High Library. Throughout his life, Jeff was involved in many philanthropic organizations, including the Pleasant Valley Educational Foundation. The family hopes the scholarship recipient will reflect Jeff’s work ethic and values. He always considered others’ needs before his own and is remembered as an inspiration by all who knew him!
Criteria to apply:
- Completed elementary education at Cody Elementary School
- Preference given to a student enrolling in post-secondary education in the state of Iowa
Scholarship Personal Statement/Essay
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us why you've chosen your field of study.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us what your plans are after your post-secondary education is complete.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us about one of the following: your ability to problem solve, work with others, and/or your dedication to the community.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us how you've overcome an obstacle.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us anything else about yourself you think the selection committee would like to know.
Past Scholarship Recipients
2022 Ryan Dolphin
2021 Michael Musal