Katie Dlouhy Memorial Scholarship
The Katie Dlouhy scholarship was created in memory of Katie who graduated from Pleasant Valley High School in 2007. Katie was born in 1986 with Down Syndrome and was fortunate to spend 16 years in the PV school system, which she loved! Katie developed lifelong friendships with classmates, teachers, and administrators. She was very social and sometimes a troublemaker, including sneaking the cat on the bus one time. Katie left every building she attended with lasting memories.
Despite Katie's special needs she was active in as many organizations as possible. She participated in Special Olympics – winning first place at state in three different sports, Girl Scouts, Challenger Little League, Our Lady of the River Catholic Church, and many volunteer activities. She enjoyed music, electronics, art, cooking, and the Iowa State Cyclones. More than anything, Katie loved spending time with family and friends, and any social outing.
Katie passed away in 2018, from a heart condition called Eisenmenger Syndrome, at the age of 31. Her family created this scholarship for a Pleasant Valley senior that models Katie's enthusiasm for life.
Criteria to Apply:
- Recipient has been active in extra-curricular activities
- Recipient has been an active volunteer
- Recipient must attend a technical school, community college, or state university
Scholarship Personal Statement/Essay:
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us why you've chosen your field of study.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us what your plans are after your post-secondary education is complete.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us about one of the following: your ability to problem solve, work with others, and/or your dedication to the community.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us how you've overcome an obstacle.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us anything else about yourself you think the selection committee would like to know.
*If you choose to attend an educational institution that does not meet the criteria for this scholarship, your scholarship may be revoked.
Click here to Apply for a Scholarship
Past Scholarship Recipients
2022 Carter Carroll
2021 Eoin Fitzgerald
2020 Dhanajay Pal
2019 Brianna Kurtz