Paul N. Lensmeyer "Doing What is Right" Memorial Scholarship
The Paul N. Lensmeyer Memorial Scholarship was established in 2014 by Ascentra Credit Union, of which he was CEO for 20 years. Paul passed away unexpectedly on May 20, 2013, leaving behind a legacy that will live for generations to come.
Paul was born December 6, 1950 in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. He received his Bachelor of Business Administration from the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh. His unique and passionate spirit will forever be remembered by all of the lives he touched. Paul enjoyed landscaping, golfing, the Iowa Hawkeyes and the Green Bay Packers. He was a champion role model for his family and friends, the community and the credit union industry.
Paul, along with his wife Debbie, raised three children who attended Pleasant Valley Schools. Ryan graduated from PVHS in 1999 and went on to graduate from Iowa State University. Brandon graduated from PVHS in 2002 and went on to obtain a degree from St. Ambrose University. Jenna graduated from PVHS in 2010 and attending the University of Iowa – College of Pharmacy.
Paul loved all aspects of what the Pleasant Valley school system had to offer and the values and work ethic the school instilled in his children. An advocate of education and community involvement, Paul involved Ascentra Credit Union in events that promote reading in partnerships with area libraries and schools. He creating the Booker Bear Reading Challenge with the Pleasant Valley School District. Similar reading initiatives take place with the Bettendorf, North Scott, and Moline school districts.
Paul was committed to the community in which he lived and worked. Paul enjoyed working with the Iowa Quad City Rotary Club, the various chambers, and the Scott County Regional Authority. He also served with the Bettendorf Development Corporation and the Bettendorf Library Foundation.
Paul Lensmeyer was an intelligent man of great vision. He followed the mantra of “Listening, caring, doing what’s right,” in both his professional and personal life. His integrity, work ethic, and
commitment to the credit union movement made Ascentra Credit Union the viable institution it is today. Paul weaved his own personality and vision into the fabric of Ascentra Credit Union, creating a lasting legacy. To honor Paul’s memory, and further his legacy, the Lensmeyer family, along with Ascentra Credit Union have established the Paul N. Lensmeyer Memorial Scholarship for a graduating senior of PVHS.
Criteria to Apply:
- Be a graduating senior at PVHS
- Plan to attend University of Iowa, Iowa State University or University of Northern Iowa
- Academic credentials necessary for admission to the above Universities
- A student that displays Paul’s characteristics of community involvement and “Listening, caring, doing what’s right
Scholarship Personal Statement/Essay:
- Give a documented example of your community involvement that incorporates “Listening, Caring, and Doing What’s Right”.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us why you've chosen your field of study.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us what your plans are after your post-secondary education is complete.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us about one of the following: your ability to problem solve, work with others, and/or your dedication to the community.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us how you've overcome an obstacle.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us anything else about yourself you think the selection committee would like to know.
*If you choose to attend an educational institution that does not meet the criteria for this scholarship, your scholarship may be revoked.
Past Scholarship Recipients
2022 Alyssa Smith
2021 Reese Thompson
2020 Kenzie Klatt
2019 Ashlee Soultz
2018 Mukul Nair
2017 Carrie Peterson
2016 Lena Kosinski
2016 Camille Jaime
2015 Carter Blunk
2015 Rachel Miller
2014 Mackenzie Kennedy
2014 Paige Schuler