PTA Character Counts Scholarship
This scholarship honors the Character Counts pillars, which are instilled in our students from day one.
Trustworthiness: Be honest • Don’t deceive, cheat, or steal • Be reliable — do what you say you’ll do • Have the courage to do the right thing • Build a good reputation • Be loyal — stand by your family, friends, and country
Respect: Treat others with respect; follow the Golden Rule • Be tolerant and accepting of differences • Use good manners, not bad language • Be considerate of the feelings of others • Don’t threaten, hit or hurt anyone • Deal peacefully with anger, insults, and disagreements
Responsibility: Do what you are supposed to do • Plan ahead • Persevere: keep on trying! • Always do your best • Use self-control • Be self-disciplined • Think before you act — consider the consequences • Be accountable for your words, actions, and attitudes • Set a good example for others
Fairness: Play by the rules • Take turns and share • Be open-minded; listen to others • Don’t take advantage of others • Don’t blame others carelessly • Treat all people fairly
Caring: Be kind • Be compassionate and show you care • Express gratitude • Forgive others • Help people in need
Citizenship: Do your share to make your school and community better • Cooperate • Get involved in community affairs • Stay informed; vote • Be a good neighbor • Obey laws and rules • Respect authority • Protect the environment • Volunteer
The JH and HS principals and JH/HS PTA presidents or their designee(s) select the awardee. This scholarship is one of 12 scholarships awarded and financed solely by the Pleasant Valley Educational Foundation, which raises funds through several events throughout the year.
Scholarship Personal Statement/Essay:
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us why you've chosen your field of study.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us what your plans are after your post-secondary education is complete.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us about one of the following: your ability to problem solve, work with others, and/or your dedication to the community.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us how you've overcome an obstacle.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us anything else about yourself you think the selection committee would like to know.
Past Scholarship Recipients
2022 Lauren Anderson
2021 Julia Houghton
2020 Megan McGovern
2019 Spencer Clark
2018 Lauren Kulas
2017 Marie DeLessio
2016 Amanda Welweart
2015 Mason McGee
2014 Grace Kim
2013 Haley Smith
2012 Karly Dankert
2011 Laura Thomsen
2010 Jenna Lensmeyer
2009 Kendall Stelk
2008 Jared Dammann
2007 Angela Rouse
2006 Maria Claussen
2005 Erik Skjerseth
2004 Jessica Pryor