Russ Murphy Pay it Forward Scholarship
Russ Murphy graduated from Pleasant Valley in 1973. He was a 3 year Track and Field Letterwinner and MVP his senior year. He also participated in basketball and football. Russ won the Spartan Scholastic Athlete of the Year award his senior year. He went on to run Track at St. Ambrose University.
This scholarship honors a student who has most demonstrated the spirit of kindness, gone the "Extra Mile”, and has made a difference for someone without calling attention to themselves. Whether for the elderly, the physically or mentally challenged, or economically underserved, the winner of this scholarship has used their voice, or actions, to put someone else first. The awardees is chosen by the administration/counselors. Each awardee will demonstrate the following:
· Needs to be well prepared by their K-12 experiences and to pursue some form of post-secondary education to expand and refine their skills and background
· Community Mindedness - a commitment to being involved
· Academic Preparation - the ability to reason, solve problems, apply knowledge, and communicate effectively
· Interpersonal Skills - the ability to work effectively with others - individually or in groups
· Professional Behaviors - responsibility and dependability
Criteria to Apply
· Administration/counselors will select the senior applicant who exhibits the qualities of giving back, community mindedness, and dedication.
· Plan to attend a college or vocational school upon graduation
Scholarship Personal Statement/Essay
- Discuss briefly in 50 words or less how you've used your voice or actions to put someone first.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us why you've chosen your field of study.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us what your plans are after your post-secondary education is complete.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us about one of the following: your ability to problem solve, work with others, and/or your dedication to the community.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us how you've overcome an obstacle.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us anything else about yourself you think the selection committee would like to know.
Past Scholarship Recipients
2022 Lauren Puthoff