Will Kohn Memorial Scholarship for Education Careers
Will was born on November 12, 2010 in Iowa City to Christopher and Meghan (O’Daniel) Kohn. Will was currently a first grade student at Riverdale Heights Elementary School.
Will was diagnosed before birth with hypoplastic left heart syndrome and faced many challenges and surgeries over his short life. He was the first patient at the new Stead Family Children’s Hospital on February 25, 2017, received the gift of a new heart on September 14, 2017, but unfortunately lost his battle on January 27, 2018.
He was part of the first year “Wave” at Kinnick Stadium at Iowa football games. Through all of the challenges though, Will remained a resilient young boy who loved playing with construction toys, Legos, Xbox, and exploring the world through his Ipad. When back home he enjoyed riding his gator in the backyard, playing in the dirt, swimming, and watching PV football games where his dad coached. Parades were favorite events, especially dancing to the Pleasant Valley Fight Song. Will loved trips to the Niabi Zoo. The new meerkat exhibit quickly became his favorite. Time spent with his cousins was very special to Will. He loved when his only babysitters, Oma and Nana, read to him. Will dreamed of visiting Legoland and going to a beach someday.
Criteria to Apply:
- Be a graduating student from Pleasant Valley High School
- GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Plan to pursue a career in the education field
Scholarship Personal Statement/Essay:
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us why you've chosen your field of study.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us what your plans are after your post-secondary education is complete.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us about one of the following: your ability to problem solve, work with others, and/or your dedication to the community.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us how you've overcome an obstacle.
- In less than 250 words (1700 characters), please tell us anything else about yourself you think the selection committee would like to know.
Click here to Apply for a Scholarship
Past Scholarship Recipients
2022 Summer Halsey
2021 Paulina Garza
2020 Jenya Loughney
2019 Chloe Greig