For years, the Service-Learning program at Pleasant Valley High School has given students an experience that teaches them more about themselves as they give back to the community. PV students have contributed more than 440,000 volunteer hours to the Quad City Area.
The summer is a great time for students to explore volunteer opportunities. We encourage students to take this time to find a project that means something to them and invest time in it!
A few changes have been made to the program, please refer to the new service-learning handbook.
Incoming 9th Graders:
Service Learning Coordinator Christina Myatt met with the incoming class. Watch this video to see what was discussed.
Freshman & Sophomores:
- 30 hours
- Service-Learning Inventory (1 hour)
- 27 hours at nonprofit organizations (501c3 nonprofit status)
- Reflective Project (2 hours)
- Sophomores must complete a minimum of 15 hours by the end of 1st semester to remain in good standing
As you are being grandfathered in, you can choose whether or not to do the service-learning inventory (if you choose not to, you will need 28 hours volunteering) but will need to do the reflective project.
Juniors & Seniors:
- 40 hour passion project
- project theme to be approved (1 hour)
- design of the project- why, where (2 hours)
- 35 hours at nonprofit organizations (501c3 nonprofit status)
- Panel Interview (2 hours)
- Track hours on hours verification form
- Hours should be turned in monthly so that progress can be tracked
As you are being grandfathered in, you can choose whether or not to do the theme and design of the project (if you choose not to, you will need 38 hours volunteering) but will need to do the panel interview.
For details about the service-learning process, please visit the service-learning website.